The Winery of the past
The original details
- The covered press dates back to 1775, according to its inauguration inscription.
- The Palm Tree that presides over the estate is from approximately 1750. It is probably the tallest and oldest on the island.
- The Statistics published by Escolar (1805) and Pascual Madoz (1845) offer data on the El Grifo Winery.
- Moscatel vines from the mid-19th century. We maintain vines from 1881, the year in which Ana was born.
- The early facilities are now the Wine Museum.
In 1910 we substituted the screw press for a vertical hydraulic one, that now rests in the museum.
From the 1930's on, vinification has been managed by professionals (15 oenologists over 70 years ).
We are pioneers on the Canary Islands in the systematic bottling of wine (1935) with machinery that we also exhibit in the Museum.
Starting in the 80's we revolutionised the methods and types of wine on the Canary Islands.
We introduced stainless steel to vinification on the Canary Islands, as well as chilling equipment and membrane presses.
We hold to the old methods for our Canari and Glas varieties.
We have completed the refurbishment of the 50 hectare family vineyard adding rows of dry stone walls over a surface equivalent to 100 linear kilometres.